Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Seasoning 1 = Caribbean Jerk


Ok so I have a recipe that I Heart for Caribbean Jerk Seasoning. It is seriously my favorite! It comes from Paula Deans Magazine. I looked at the ending results,

saw what was in it ....

2 pounds pork tenderloin
1/2 cup light soy sauce
1/4 cup olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon Dora's Jerk Seasoning - I use McCormmick Caribbean Jerk
Special equipment: 2 dozen (10-inch) wooden skewers soaked in water for 20 minutes, then drained well.

and I was Hooked!

I tend to use what ever meat I have on hand... Pork, beef, and mainly chicken. I've just starting using shrimp, but I marinate it for a shorter time. I put it all together in the morning and in the evening add it to skewers with my favorite veggies and a side of rice. This origianal recipe calls for a dipping sauce too but to tell you the truth, I'm afraid to use it for it might ruin the flavor.


Cut tenderloin in half crosswise. Cut each half lengthwise into 4-inch thin strips. Place pork in a heavy duty re-sealable plastic bag.

In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, olive oil, garlic, and jerk seasoning. Pour over pork. Seal bag, and marinate pork in refrigerator, 1 hour.

Turn on broiler.

When ready to cook the pork, line a broiler pan with aluminum foil. Lightly grease rack and place on pan. Remove pork from bag; discard marinade.

Thread pork onto skewers in an "s" shape. Place skewers in a single layer on a prepared pan.

Broil 5 inches from heat for 8 minutes, turning once. Serve warm with Caribbean Dipping Sauce.

Dora's Jerk Seasoning: 1 tablespoon kosher salt 1 teaspoon ground allspice 1 teaspoon brown sugar 1 teaspoon garlic powder 1 teaspoon onion powder 1/2 teaspoon dried, crushed Scotch bonnet pepper 1/2 teaspoon paprika 1/2 teaspoon dried chives 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients in a bowl until well mixed. Store in an airtight container.
Yield: 1/2 cup



http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_104812,00.html

No comments: