Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Black Bean Soup *** ROCKS ***

I scored a great recipe last weekend. I went to Chilli's and loved their Chicken Tortilla soup. It tasted to me more like black bean with chicken in it. I did a little digging and found this to be the closest recipe for that flavor. I omitted a few things either because they weren't on hand or because I just didn't care for them.
If you are in to new recipes and looking for a good soup to store for the fall this is it!


Record Street Cafe Tequila Black Bean Soup

Source: Reno Gazette-Journal


1 small yellow onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons oil
Couple generous splashes tequila (surprisingly I omitted this)
1 medium carrot, shredded
1 small red pepper, roasted and diced (I used orange because I had it on hand)
1 (5-ounce) can diced green chilies
3 teaspoons cumin
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
4 cups vegetable stock (I used chicken stock instead)
3/4 cup salsa of choice (combination of homemade and store bought)
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed (don't forget to rinse em, or your soup will be purple and so will your chicken!)
Dash liquid smoke
Salt and black pepper, to taste
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (YUCK! This stuff is gross- omitted)
(OMITTED by choice, but if I was serving to guest it would be on there (except the cilantro)
1/2 cup crushed tortilla chips or 2 small yellow corn tortillas, shredded
Sour cream
Cilantro sprigs
added about 1-2lbs boneless skinless chicken breast, cooked and shredded.

In soup or stock pot, cook onion and garlic in oil until onions are translucent; do not overcook garlic. Add tequila, carrot, red pepper, green chilies, cumin and white pepper and cook over medium heat until tequila cooks off. Add stock, salsa, black beans, tortillas, liquid smoke and salt and black pepper. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, or until tortillas have dissolved. Add chopped cilantro and season again, if desired, with salt and black pepper. Divide soup evenly among 4 bowls, garnishing each with dollop sour cream and cilantro sprig. Serve, if desired, with chunks of cheddar jalapeƱo bread. Makes 4 servings.

No comments: